I have a feeling this is going to be our last hearty soup for this year. We had a little snow and hail to bring in spring, but I am over it. So there. Here is the recipe for this flavor-packed soup. Be prepared, it takes 6ish hours, but it is absolutely delicious and even better the next day. The recipe makes at least 10 servings. We got just a little more out of it. French Market Soup is great for back-to-back dinners or warm lunches throughout the week, which is what the GA opted for!
French Market Soup
- 1 lb of mixed dried beans (black beans, pinto, white beans, red beans mix)
- 2 tablespoons of mixed Italian spices - made into a cheesecloth garni
- 12 cups of water
- 2 local hamhocks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 large can of organic diced tomatoes
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 organic turkey kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
1) Wash and drain beans. Add water, salt, hamhocks and spice garni bag. Simmer covered for 3 hours.
2) Add tomatoes, celery, garlic, and onions. Simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, until creamy.
3) Add kielbasa and chicken. Simmer 45 minutes.
4) Add parsley and red wine (pour yourself a glass). Simmer for 15 minutes.
Serve hot and it is best the next day. It is perfect with a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan and a chunk of hearty bread.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon active, dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups of organic bread flour
- cornmeal for dusting
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 c Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup mozzarella
2) TUESDAY is the beginning of "How Does Your Garden Grow?" I hope to see you there. This weekend is a big gardening weekend for us. The onions and potatoes arrived!!! Also, some plants are finally sprouting up, so I will have something to take photos of, finally. Will the peas make a showing? You will have to wait and see.